Saturday, January 19, 2013

I'll bet you think this vignette's about you

We are arranged on the mossy steps of an amphitheater, and the air is damp and oily. Five or six of us are there, in dark green raincoats, making fidgety conversation. A blonde girl climbs the steps. She's almost-pretty, pale skin and eyes, and she is not from here - not from HERE in any way at all. "She's from the other side of the partition", is how I phrase it in my head. To her, I say nothing but "Hello" as she sweeps past me on the steps. She sits down, a stair above me and next to you. She flirts in a curious accent, and you laugh. She pulls your hand to leave. She's taking you back, and you are going to cross the partition together. My face and shoulders swerve up towards you, and you bend down, even as you are pulled away. In this awkward pose you tell me thank you and sorry and that you have to go but you will think of me. You kiss me, a slippery taste of pond, and rain, and algae. Then, gone. I cover my hair and eyes with my hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment